Reddit is one of the most popular social media platforms, where you can find and join communities, post, comment, and vote on various topics, ranging from news to entertainment and gaming. But how do you log out of Reddit when you are done browsing or posting? This article will show you how to log out of Reddit on desktop and mobile devices.
Logging out of Reddit can help protect your privacy and security, especially if you use a shared device or a public network. You can also free up storage space and memory on your device and reduce battery consumption.
Furthermore, logging out of Reddit can help avoid distractions and focus on other tasks or activities. Having understood this, let’s move on to what you need to know before signing out of Reddit.
Things to Know Before Signing Out of Reddit
Logging out of Reddit is a simple process, but there are some things you should know before you do so.
- If you are writing a post or a comment, save it as a draft or copy it to your clipboard before logging out. Otherwise, you may lose your progress and have to start over. You can also use the save feature to bookmark any posts or comments you want to revisit later.
- Logging out of Reddit won’t delete your account. Deleting a Reddit account involves various steps and options, which we have covered in our explainer on how to delete a Reddit account.
Signing out of Reddit is easy and safe, but knowing its consequences and benefits is essential. With this understanding, let’s begin with the steps.
How to Log Out of Reddit on the Desktop
The option to log out of the Reddit website is slightly hidden; it is located under your profile menu. Follow the below instructions to know how to do so.
Step 1: Open Reddit in your preferred browser on your computer.
Step 2: Once on the platform, click on your username.
Step 3: From the drop-down menu, scroll to the bottom and select Log Out.
That’s it. You will be logged out of your account and brought to the Reddit homepage, where you can go through the posts and read through the comments without logging into your account.
How to Sign Out of the Reddit Mobile App
If you are on the latest version of the Reddit mobile app, the steps to log out of the app are simple. Moreover, there is no distinction between Android and iOS apps. However, for demonstration, we are going with Android. Follow along.
Note: Ensure that you are on the latest version of Reddit. If you are on the older versions, the steps may change. You can follow our guide to check if an app needs an update.
Step 1: Launch the Reddit app and tap on your profile picture in the top-right corner.
Step 2: Tap the chevron (arrow) icon next to your Reddit username in the side pane.
Step 3: In the bottom sheet, tap the logout icon beside the account name (not the checkmark icon).
Step 4: In the confirmation prompt, tap Log out.
There you go. That’s how you can log out of the Reddit mobile app. Do note that if you have multiple accounts logged in on the Reddit mobile app, you will have to log out of each account individually. There’s no direct way to sign out of all the accounts simultaneously.
That said, sometimes you can encounter an issue where you can’t log out of Reddit, which can be frustrating and potentially risky, especially when using a shared device or a public network; continue reading.
What to Do if You Can’t Log Out of Reddit
There are several reasons why you are unable to log out of Reddit. Here are some possible reasons and solutions for this issue.
1. Reddit may have updated its features or security measures, and your browser or app may not be compatible. If this happens, try updating your browser or app and logging out again. If that doesn’t work, clear your browser’s cache and cookies or reinstall the app.
2. Logging out may be hampered by third-party extensions or apps that enhance your Reddit experience. If you encounter this problem, try logging out again after disabling or uninstalling any extensions or apps. Furthermore, you can report the issue to the developers of the extensions or apps.
Tip: If the issue persists, switch to a third-party reddit app.
3. If your internet connection is slow or unstable, it may prevent you from logging out of Reddit. You can fix this by checking your network settings and ensuring a strong and stable connection. Switching to another network or device and logging out again may also help.
4. It is sometimes possible for Reddit to experience technical difficulties or maintenance issues that prevent users from logging out of the site. To resolve this, wait for Reddit to resolve the issue and try logging out again later on. You can also check Reddit’s status page or Twitter account for updates.
These are some of the prominent reasons you are sometimes unable to sign out of Reddit. Further, if none of these solutions work for you, you can contact Reddit’s support. They can help you log out of Reddit manually or provide further assistance.
FAQs on Logging Out of Reddit
Reddit keeps you logged in until you manually log out or clear your browser’s cookies. So, yes, you must log out of Reddit every time you close the app or browser.
No, logging out of Reddit on one device will not log you out of all devices. You have to log out of each device separately.
There is no official way to set a timeout for automatic logout on Reddit.
Get out of Reddit Temporarily
Now that you know how to log out of Reddit, you can quickly access your Reddit account on any available device without worrying about leaving behind your active account. You may also want to read some of the fastest ways to get Karma on Reddit.
Last updated on 25 August, 2023
The above article may contain affiliate links which help support Guiding Tech. However, it does not affect our editorial integrity. The content remains unbiased and authentic.