The one true yardstick of a geek is the degree to which he maintains his computer. A geek likes to break apart an intact thing and poke into its innards, but I am guessing from my own experience, the hassle of reinstalling an operating system isn’t a favored hobby of many. So, why not put some extra care into PC maintenance when the going’s good. There are after all quite a few zero-effort system tools out there that do the job for you.
Among the tribe of multi-functional PC maintenance and optimization tools is the well rated Toolwiz Care. Toolwiz Care is a complete suite of 40+ powerful performance, security, and diagnostic tools that cover almost all that’s there to cover in a Windows PC.
Toolwiz Care (ver. 22.214.171.124) is a 3.9 MB download and is supported by Windows XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7.
The first screen that you see after installation gives you an overview of your system and asks for a system wide checkup.
The check-up lists the problems in your system and gives you a once-click button to fix the problem. The checkup also reports back on the state of your computer’s privacy and percentage of hard disk fragmentation. Real time reports on CPU temperature, CPU usage and memory, among other things are displayed when the tool is running.
Reviewing the 40+ tools under the hood would be beyond the scope of this article, so let’s take a look at the key ones.
1. Registry Cleaner tool detects errors and cleans out invalid registry entries. To backup the registry, you can go into Tools and use Registry Backup and Restore as a failsafe. The Registry Defragger rebuilds the registry by removing redundant registry entries and helps to make your system leaner and faster.
2. Toolwiz has a full complement of cleaning and wiping tools – Disk Clean, Privacy Clean, and Disk Wiper all go to work on junked files.
3. The Disk Analyze tool can be used to squeeze out space from your crowded hard drive as it scans and reports back on disk space usage and zero-sized folders. You can also use the Duplicate Finder (under Tools) to scan for copies of files.
4. The Speedup tab optimizes your system with a boot report (that offers a detailed list of the processes loaded since booting) and recommendations of a few speed tweaks. The Fast Defrag tool de-fragments the hard drive with its smart engine. With the Startup Optimizer you can disable or delay the loading of any startup entries. It also provides the users with suggestions of standard processes.
5. The Security tool is the umbrella tab to scan, review, and remove undesirable components like add-ons, software, processes, and hidden services with a click.
6. The Tools tab has a lineup of 18 system tools. Some of the interesting ones are:
7. Gamers need every ounce they can from the system. The Game Booster tweaks the system environment for gaming purpose. It temporarily shuts background processes and other unnecessary Windows services. The Game Booster also cleans out the RAM and boosts processor performance.
8. The Password Generator creates highly secure passwords with upper and lower case letters, numbers and punctuation symbols. The Password Manager secures all your passwords in an encrypted master database. The File Encryption-Decryption tool is an added feature for securing sensitive files.
9. The File Recovery tool helps in recovery of data permanently deleted from the Recycle Bin or with the help of SHIFT + DELETE key.
10. You will most likely use the Context Menu Manager to clear out those pesky right-click entries installed by programs.
Toolwiz as a complete system maintenance tool has a lot going for it. It’s packaged very well with a neat, intuitive interface. I haven’t tried out all the tools yet, but the few ones that I have can hold their own against specialized one-function tools. Give it a run and tell us how PC friendly you find this freeware.