The tumultuous time of Uber finally seems to be ending with the Uber board selecting travel company Expedia Inc.’s Dara Khosrowshahi as the new CEO. The decision to appoint Khosrowshahi comes after much speculation and controversies after Travis Kalanick was ousted as the CEO roughly a couple of months back.
The CEO hiring process at Uber wasn’t exactly a peaceful process. Many high-flying names like HP’s Meg Whitman, GE’s Jeff Immelt and Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg were making the rounds, until a few days back.
With the upcoming meeting of Dara Khosrowshahi with Uber employees in the cards, here are few facts about Dara Khosrowshahi the next Uber CEO.
1. Dara Khosrowshahi was born in Iran in 1969. After the Iranian Revolution, he and his family emigrated to the United States in 1978. Khosrowshahi was aged nine then. He, along with his two brothers, was raised in the New York State area are by their mother.
2. He is also the cousin of the investor, Hadi Partovi and went to school with him in the United States.
3. Khosrowshahi graduated from Brown University with a degree in engineering in 1999 and joined Allen & Co as an investment banker and went on to stay will 1998, for a period of 7 years.
During these years, he served as the Vice President from 1995 to 1998.
Rise to the Top
4. After his stint at Allen & Co, Dara Khosrowshahi joined InterActiveCorp (IAC) under the mentorship of billionaire Barry Diller. IAC was the parent company of Expedia Inc.
5. He has served as Executive VP for operations and strategic planning, EVP and chief financial officer, USA Networks/IAC from 2000 to 2005. He has since been the CEO of Expedia.
6. Just before Khosrowshahi and Diller led the acquisition of Expedia, the September 11 attacks occurred. Even in times of extreme chaos, the deal didn’t fall through.
7. He is known famously in the Silicon Valley as the man who has expanded Expedia Inc. in a phenomenal way. During this time has Expedia Inc. expanded to over 60 different countries with takeovers of travel fare aggregator Orbitz Travel and vacation rental HomeAway.
Meanwhile, he also led Expedia Inc. to successfully battle both recession and the sprouting of new upstarts.
Awards and Earnings
8. Dara Khosrowshahi has been praised repeatedly for his leadership and managerial skills. In 2013, Ernst & Young awarded him the Pacific Northwest Entrepreneur of the Year award. He also features among the U.S. State Department’s List of Prominent Iranian-Americans.
With Uber involved in a number of controversies involving harassment claims by former employees and a shift in the leadership culture in Uber, it seems Dara Khosrowshahi will have his hands full in the times to come, provided he accepts the offer.
The above article may contain affiliate links which help support Guiding Tech. However, it does not affect our editorial integrity. The content remains unbiased and authentic.