9The highly anticipated Android-powered Essential smartphones, the brainchild of Android founder Andy Rubin, are finally coming to life as it has been confirmed that the devices have entered production and will start shipping next week.
First announced in January 2017 and unveiled in May, Rubin’s much-acclaimed Essential smartphone which was supposed to start shipping in USA in July are finally arriving next week.
Andy Rubin confirmed in a tweet that the devices will start shipping next week
— Andy Rubin (@Arubin) August 9, 2017
According to Andy Rubin, the company had been facing delays in testing the device with US and international carriers and the certifications were pending too.
“I personally wanted to thank you for putting your name down for our first phone. You might be getting impatient to get your hands on your new Essential Phone (and I’m also impatient to get it to you!) but rest assured that you will have a device in your hands in a few weeks,” Andy Rubin wrote in an email last month, to those who had pre-ordered the device.
In the latest funding round, which included investors like Tencent, Foxconn and Amazon (via Alexa Fund), Andy Rubin’s company successfully raised a total investment of $330 million.
Essential Phone Specs and Features
- OS: The Android-based device will come with its customised UI built on the latest Android O operating system.
- Memory and Storage: It features 4GB RAM and 128GB (UFS 2.1) of internal storage.
- The Essential phone comes encased in a titanium body with a ceramic back and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 covering the display.
- Processor: Andy Rubin’s Essential smartphone is powered by Qualcomm’s 64-bit, octa-core Snapdragon 835 processor which is based on the latest 10nm tech, clocks at 2.45GHz and is supported by Adreno 540 GPU.
- Display and Design: The device sports a 5.7-inch QHD (2560 x 1312) display with 19:10 aspect ratio which takes up a major portion of the front panel of the device, leaving little bezel on the bottom.
- Primary Camera: The Essential phone sports a 13MP dual-lens camera with image fusion tech that assists in a smooth functioning of the 360-degree camera accessory which is supplied as an option alongside the device and is the smallest 360-degree personal camera in the world.
- Secondary Camera: The front camera of the Essential smartphone is a 8MP unit with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Both the front and rear camera records videos at 4k (30fps), 1080p (60fps) and 720p (120fps).
- Battery: The Essential Phone is backed by a 3040mAh battery which supports fast charging via the USB Type-C port.
The device is currently available in only two colours — Black Moon and Pure White — but Stellar Grey and Ocean Depths will go into production soon too.
The company also subjected their device to a drop test which survived the fall without even a scratch on its titanium surface.
The device comes without any logo on the phone as the company believes “Just because we played a part in making it doesn’t mean you should be forced to advertise that fact to everyone in your life”.