One of the highly anticipated updates for Xiaomi smartphones, MIUI 9, has been tipped to release later this month or early in August. Reports indicate that the successor of MIUI 8 is already going through internal beta testing. In an official post at the MIUI Forum, a company insider has claimed that the MIUI 9 will launch by 16 August 2017. Meanwhile, Xiaomi has also released a list of its smartphones lined for Android Nougat update.
MIUI 9 Features [Tentative]
For starters, MIUI is Xiaomi’s in-house custom user interface. It completely overhauls the stock Android design and offers an iPhone-like experience with several useful additional features. MIUI 8 is the present version of the custom UI and MIUI 9 will be its successor.
There are numerous rumors about Xiaomi’s upcoming user interface. The MIUI 9 will come with several improvements and a handful of new features over its precursor. Here are a few of them.
- Smart Assistant: Xiaomi is expected to include an AI-based smart assistant in the MIUI 9. The feature has already been seen on some developer version of the MIUI 8. However, we are skeptical whether it would make its way out of China.
- Split Screen: MIUI 9 will most likely come with a split screen functionality. While this is a native feature of Android Nougat, Xiaomi may also make it available for devices running Android 6.0 Marshmallow or below.
- Better Multitasking: Xiaomi’s custom UI is well-known for its miserable memory management. The MIUI 9 might change that. The upcoming user interface is expected to improve the RAM performance. This will lead to better multitasking and app retention capability of devices running MIUI 9.
- Improved Stock Camera App: Reports suggest that Xiaomi is working to develop the best stock camera software for the MIUI 9.
- Lighter and Simpler: Xiaomi claims that the MIUI 9 will be much lighter and simpler than MIUI 8. The company will achieve this by removing unnecessary or rarely used features.
Official List of Xiaomi Phones Getting Android Nougat Update
Xiaomi has also released the official list of its smartphones to receive the Nougat update. The handsets set to get Android 7.0 Nougat are:
- Xiaomi Mi Max
- Xiaomi Mi 5
- Xiaomi Mi 5s
- Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
- Xiaomi Mi 4c
- Xiaomi Mi 4s
- Xiaomi Mi Note
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2
- Xiaomi Mi MIX
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x (Known as just ‘Redmi Note 4’ in India)
Now, the phones to receive Android 7.1 Nougat are:
- Xiaomi Mi 6
- Xiaomi Mi Max 2
- Xiaomi Mi 5c
- Xiaomi Redmi 4x (Known as just ‘Redmi 4’ in India)