Top 3 Battery Saving Apps to Extend Your Android Device’s Battery Life

Ashish Mundhra

We have seen a lot of innovation when it comes to smartphone hardware specifications. Compared to last year’s dual core or quad core processor, we have deca-core processors with as much as 6 GB of RAM which is almost double of what we had a year ago in most of the flagships devices. Even the CPU and camera specifications have seen a drastic improvement over the last year. However, the only thing that has remained stagnant all along is the battery. These days, most flagships come with 3000- 3500 mAh battery which has to bear the load of increasing processing power of the device and we can only rely on software side optimization to increase the battery throughput.

battery android

Almost all the devices come with power saver aka low power modes which often kicks in when you are left with the last 10 to 15% of battery juice. Marshmallow comes with a built-in feature called Doze that promises to increase battery life by optimizing background apps. But the feature is still limited to just 5% of the Android devices. For the rest 95%, here are some battery saving apps that you can install to maximize the battery life on your device.

1. Go Battery Saver & Power Widget

Go Battery Saver & Power Widget is a nice battery saving app from the makers of Go Launcher. After you install the app, the home screen gives you a detailed insight on your battery along with the trend it drains, through a graph. You can tap on the Optimize button and it will kill the apps running in the background but you should only do that when you are desperate to get a few more minutes out of the battery.

go power  go power 1

The different power saving modes that you can configure is the main USP of the app. There are some preset modes that you can choose to maximize battery life by giving up on network connectivity, the screen on-time and brightness. You can also see the apps that consume the maximum power on your device and then make a well-calculated decision if you really want all the apps or you can cut short on them.

go power (1)  go power (2)

If you have root access on your device, you can also control CPU frequency and smart radio management to optimize battery performance without killing apps or disabling radio connection all the time. You can add screen widgets to change profiles quickly and efficiently depending on your needs.

2. Greenify

Greenify is another app that you can install on your device to extend battery life. Instead of killing the app running in the background, Greenify hibernates it and that too without root access and therefore there will be a couple of permission you will have to grant the app.

greenify (2)  greenify (3)

You can select the apps or leave it to Greenify to pick the apps automatically and then send it to hibernation. When you need the app, you can launch it again and it will not restart the app and load the data all over again. In Android Marshmallow, Greenify adds features to the built-in Doze feature and add hours to the device battery life.

greenify (1)

3. Doze – For Better Battery Life

In the beginning of the article, I mentioned how Android Marshmallow saves battery in the background through an all new feature called Doze. However, if you are not on Marshmallow, you can still get similar feature using the Doze – For Better Battery Life app.

Doze for Android (2)  Doze2

The app will snooze sensors, apps and processes in the background when you are not using them. We have already covered a detailed article on how the app works that you can have a look at. The only downside of the app is that it will not work if you have any active VPN connections on your Android smartphone.

Still Looking for Alternatives?

Those were some of the best apps you can install on your Android to get the most out of your battery life. Still if you are looking for more alternatives, you can try DU Battery Saver & Fast Charge and Avast Battery Saver. However, one thing you all should be aware of is that these apps only provide software optimization and bring nothing your device doesn’t already have.

avast  Avast (2)

If you manually control the device 3G/Wi-Fi connectivity, screen brightness, screen on time and uninstall any misbehaving apps, you can extend the battery life without any of these apps. You can check out these 9 tips on how to preserve battery life by manual settings.

So that was all about the battery saving apps you can install on your Android. If you would like to continue the discussion, we can take it up to our discussion forum.

Also See
#Android apps#battery

Join the newsletter

Ashish Mundhra

Written By

Ashish Mundhra

Ashish is a staff writer and video editor at Guiding Tech. He loves all things tech and has a soft corner for Android. Apart from contributing articles here, he also takes care of our YouTube Channel.