But, after the post was published that day, I decided to give it a shot and found out how useful this tool was. Although Delicious remains my primary bookmarking tool, having your bookmarks synced across all the browsers (I use more than one browser usually) is such a relief.
And when a tool so useful stops working, it’s not a great feeling. That’s what happened with Xmarks’ Chrome add-on. It started throwing up weird errors and just refused to sync. The add-on is in beta and hence we really can’t blame the developers.
So I decided to scour through the web in the hope of finding a solution. I came to know that I wasn’t the only one getting those errors. A huge number of people had posted their concerns on the official add-on page and the Xmarks community page on Get Satisfaction. And that’s where I came across this solution.
Here are the steps.
1. Uninstall the Xmarks extension for Chrome by clicking on the wrench icon on the top right, going to “Extensions’” and clicking “Uninstall” beside “Xmarks Bookmarks Sync”.
2. Close your browser. (Chrome, I mean)
3. Windows users need to go to their search box in Start and type this
Be careful. You’ll find a lot of files there and they all kinda look the same. So make sure you are deleting the right one. In my case, it was the first in the list so I didn’t need to search for long.
5. Once you are done, reopen Chrome, reinstall the Xmarks extension and set it up again. You are good to go. 🙂