[Quick Tip] Change The Ruler Unit from Inch to Cm in MS Word

Sandeep Agarwal

MS Word shows a horizontal and a vertical ruler that it uses to align margins, paragraphs, images, tables, etc. This ruler can be customized and played with by the user in many ways. I use it extensively in formatting my documents.

However, I use MS Word 2007 where the ruler unit is in inches by default (refer the image below). And somehow I am not comfortable with the inches scale.


So, I considered changing the units to Centimeters. If you have similar intent, follow the two steps elaborated below:-

Step 1: Open MS Word and navigate to File -> Word Options.


Step 2: On the Word Options window, switch to the Advanced tab (on the left pane). Scroll to the section for Display and choose the desired unit from the drop down placed against the option reading Show measurements in units of. Click on Ok when done.


That’s it. You now have a ruler showing the unit that you find easy to work with. Here is mine that reads in cm.


Don’t see the ruler? You can activate it by navigating to View tab. Tick mark Ruler on the Show/Hide section.

Image Credit: Biking Nikon

Also See
#msword #Tips & Tricks